Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Scenic views from Upper Pierce Reservoir

Gathering & Night Tour

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fried Rice Paradise

One sure way to cook a meal which will easily be devoured by a six year old is definitely good ol' fried rice. There're plenty of ways to make that leftover rice look so delectable indeed. The Japanese egg fried rice emphasizes on loads of garlic cum egg omelette shreds stir fried till golden brown with a dash of good quality soya sauce whilst the chinese version boasts of adding meat like lap cheong (chinese preserved sausage), chicken cubes, prawns (and make sure they're at least medium sized or kids will just shrink away), ham (I heard from a bachelor fren that this is a must-have in his fridge or risk starvation) and loads of peas. Personally i prefer my own version which is -- add what you hv in the fridge... ha ha. I have usually 3 varieties which I serve as a quick-cook all in one meal -- egg fried rice, chicken cubes fried rice and lately concocted my own vegetarian version (throw in sliced shitake or white button mushrooms, long beans, french beans, peas, diced carrots, vegetarian ham if you prefer some colour to it).

To mention fried rice, I can't help but recall Dick Lee's infamous song "Fried Rice Paradise". Though i can't quite recall what the lyrics were exactly, I remember it being a very localised Singaporean-song. of course, those were the days where we sing about simple things like fried rice, banana boat etc. I find myself hardly tuning in to the latest pop songs, probably a sign of ageing yet again...sigh...

well,am gonna tuck in to my bowl of fried rice now...happy cooking till the next blog...

2 comments:

Louis & Eve said...

I know a fuss-free, little frying way of making bee hoon that will go down well with most people. It could be even faster than frying rice, especially if you could find pre-pack shredded vegetables at the supermarket.

therens said...

uh huh... tell me more...

Best of Pals

K2 Graduation Ceremony

Nic's birthday celebration