Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Scenic views from Upper Pierce Reservoir

Gathering & Night Tour

Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Correct Way to Give HYPY spelling?

Hi mummies out there, this is an SOS blog... can anyone tell me what is the PROPER way to give Han Yu Pin Yin spelling to a 6 year old? Remember that I have this wonderful task to complete each Wednesday and Thursday evening? *** feeling faint***

Do we give the breakdown of the combined sounds or just pronounce the word? To give a clearer example, take the chinese character for nest (yes, as in bird's nest niao wo). Do we pronounce it as WO (combining the sounds of W and O) or do we break it up and say W... O...WO?

I was really struggling with this yesterday whilst preparing Nic for the 4th time so that she could manage at least to get a decent score today cos the first HYPY spelling was 5 out of 6. And guess what? I resorted to even telling her in English the equivalent of the Chinese character!!! [yes, i know, chinese teachers from the traditionalist school of thought would love to strangle me for this translation method of teaching HYPY] No matter how hard I tried to recall, I simply can't remember how it was given during my school days. So if anyone of you out there can remember, puhhhleeese give me a clue.... Mucho gracias!

No comments:

Best of Pals

K2 Graduation Ceremony

Nic's birthday celebration